While people do accept ageing as a normal process, the sight of fine lines and wrinkles can scare the daylights of anyone, more so when they show up due to premature ageing. Actually, fine lines and wrinkles are not the only signs of ageing, there are many more, such as melasma, photoageing, uneven pigmentation, loose and saggy skin, loss of skin elasticity, age spots, etc. Though one can choose to age gracefully, there are ways to delay the appearance of these signs, and in fact, look half your age. All you need to do is follow these secrets to slow down ageing that you probably aren’t trying.
1. Spend More Time Standing Up instead of Slouching in the Chair: Spending a majority of your day standing on the feet instead of slouching on the chair or lying on the couch will shorten the length of telomeres (which are caps at the end of chromosomes that protect DNA). Shortening of telomeres is associated with ageing, degenerative diseases, etc. Keep active and moving through the day to slow down the ageing process through lengthening of telomeres.
2. Stop eating packaged cereals for breakfast: There’s a huge misconception that cereals with sugar loaded choco chips and dehydrated fruits are good for health! A bowl full of packaged cereal though may taste delicious, it usually has a good amount of sugar which will spike up your insulin level. Excess sugar level leads to inflammation which damages skin cells and sugar also binds to collagen and makes skin stiff and dry. Instead of eating breakfast from a box, switch to traditional Indian breakfasts like idli, dosa, poha, eggs, etc.
3. Increase Intake of Tomatoes: We are not talking about the high vitamin C content that you can find tomatoes, they have all four carotenoid antioxidants – alpha, beta-carotene, lutein, and lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant which cancels out the effects of free radicals that age skin, and helps prevent wrinkles and protects skin from UV damage.
4. Wear Sunscreen the same way you wear Sunscreen: Always remember to wear a pair of sunglasses when going out into the skin because UV rays from the sun can damage the delicate skin around the eyes. Also, squinting under harsh sunlight will deepen the grooves around the eyes and you will start noticing crow’s feet prominently. So, always wear sunglasses that provide 100% UV protection.
5. These vitamins are amazing to tighten and slow down signs of ageing.
6. Eat more Mushrooms: Mushrooms have a high content of ergothioneine and glutathione, powerful antioxidants that neutralize the effect of free radicals, and slow down the process of cellular damage and of ageing. Include mushrooms in your soup or saute them lightly with other veggies to have an antioxidant-rich, anti-ageing, low-calorie treat.
7. Stop Washing your Face with Soap: Facial skin is extremely delicate and harsh chemicals in soap can rip the natural oils from the skin and make it extremely dry, speeding up the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Avoid soap on face, instead switch to mild cleansers, ideally without any alcohol content.
8. Carrot and Honey Anti-Ageing Mask: This natural vitamin rich face pack boosts the collagen production in your skin and the good thing is that you can apply it daily.
9. Increase your daily intake of Almonds: There are numerous health benefits linked to almonds – it boosts weight loss, keeps heart healthy, improves eyesight, and with its high vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acid content, slows down the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
10. Make Water your Favorite Beverage: Make it a priority to drink at least 8 glasses of water every day, the more the better. Water makes 55 percent of an adult’s weight and is absolutely necessary to run all functions of the body smoothly and scarcity of water in the body, would show negative effects on the skin too. The skin will lose its suppleness and smoothness without adequate wter.
11. Include these 9 Superfoods You Need to Include in Your Diet to Nourish Dry Skin.: Excessively dry skin can fasten up fine lines and wrinkles. Dry skin tends to lose moisture, so one needs to nourish the skin from inside. Try these superfoods that tighten up and nourish dry skin extremely well, slowing down the ageing process.
12. Drink Oolong, Rooibos Tea, Hibiscus Tea: Oolong tea is great for all skin types, especially to fight wrinkles. Likewise, hibiscus tea is rich in flushing out toxins and free radicals. Rooibos tea is gaining popularity for its anti-ageing benefits and antioxidant levels. Sip up on these to undergo inexpensive anti-ageing treatments.
13. Say Completely No to Sugar: Cutting down sugar will have an amazing reaction on your skin because insulin spikes caused by high refined sugar in the body causes inflammation of skin which leads to premature ageing, wrinkles, acne, and uneven skin tone. If you want to look 10 years younger, then the first thing you should do is eliminate sugar from your system. Sugar in the bloodstream leads to a process called “glycation,” in which sugar molecules damage the collagen and elastin (responsible for suppleness and firmness) in our skin. Cutting down glucose will eliminate insulin spikes which will eventually lower down inflammation of the skin and you can get your youthful glow back within two weeks. So, when you cut back on sugar, you can say bye bye to acne and wrinkles for as long as you want
14. Sleep on Satin/Silk Pillowcases: Invest in satin and silk pillowcases because it not only makes hair smooth and frizz free, it also improves the texture of skin and prevents formation of wrinkle by reducing the friction between the skin and the rough cloth.
15. Practice these Yoga Poses that Keep Wrinkles Away: Yoga poses like cat/cow pose, bridge pose, downward dog pose, camel pose can stimulate anti-ageing hormones and keep the signs of ageing at bay. Practice yoga on a daily basis.