All of us have a problem area where the body seems to have stored the maximum amount of at – for certain people, it might be the thigh area, for others, here are some common problematic areas – love handles, bra bulge, back fat, and of course belly fat. Though a lot of people seem to put on weight evenly and proportionately, some others accumulate fat in certain areas according to their body type. Dietary habits, genetics, lifestyle, all play an important role in determining where the fat would get stored. Though “spot reduction” of fat from a certain area is considered to be a myth, we can build lean muscle by doing targeted exercise to lose weight from that particular area. Apart from that, in this post, we share with you 16 secrets to strip fat from everywhere to lose weight proportionately.
How Fat Burning Works?
Fat cells are essential to survival because they store energy. Human body does not like to lose fat and will do its best to conserve energy (thereby fat) by lowering metabolism and pushing the body into a state of homeostasis. That’s why, when there are a lot of calories available in the system (through food), the body starts to deposit these extra and unutilized calories in the form of fat under the skin, on the muscles, liver, and around the belly area for future use, in the form of packets, in fat cells called as adipocytes. These cells store fat at a higher rate and release energy at a slower rate. However, when we go into calorie deficit by switching to a healthy diet and exercising regularly, the brain triggers release of these energy packs in the form of fatty acids and also puts a break on creation of new fat cells because now there aren’t as many calories to be stored. When fat burning happens, energy stored as fatty acids get released into the bloodstream and are picked up as energy by vital organs. As more and more fat cells empty out stored energy in the form of fatty acids, we start to lose weight. The release of fatty acids from fat cells can happen randomly and anywhere from the body, and that’s why dieting alone will not help you reduce weight from a certain area.
16 Secrets to Strip Fat from Everywhere:
1. Reduce cortisol and stress levels by following these tips: Cortisol is the hormone that gets released when the body is under stress. This hormone is responsible for weight gain and increased appetite, and that’s why it’s important to lower cortisol level to lose weight, particularly from the abdominal region because high cortisol levels make body cells resistant to insulin. As we all know, insulin triggers creation of new fat cells, particularly around the belly area, and a high insulin level would mean increased in belly fat. Reduce cortisol level in the body with these amazing tips (Eat These Things When You are Stressed Out without Falling off Diet).
2. Improve Insulin Resistance and Lose Belly Fat: Insulin is a hormone which regulates blood sugar level in the body, but it also is a fat-storing hormone, secreted by the pancreas. Insulin is instrumental in creating new fat cells. When body cells become insulin resistant, it tends to store all extra calories as fat, without actually burning them off. Whenever you eat high-glycemic food such as high sugar, refined carbs, processed and junk food, there’s sharp spike in insulin levels and all excess calories will most likely get stored in the body as fat, mostly around the belly area. Insulin resistance is a condition where pancreas produces insulin but the cells stop responding to the efforts of this hormone by not allowing glucose to enter from the bloodstream. As a result, there’s an excess of glucose always circulation in the blood, and to get excess blood sugar out of the way, pancreas continue to secrete more insulin, making it a vicious cycle. Here are some amazing tips on how to improve insulin resistance naturally to lose weight (How Insulin Makes you Fat and Prevents Weight Loss).
3. Reduce Frequent Snacking: Frequent snacking raises insulin levels in the body and too many insulin spikes through the day will result in creation of new fat cells and fat deposits. Restrict snacking to just twice a day, without indulging in high-calorie food. Opt for healthy snacks like apple and nuts such as almonds, walnuts, or even peanuts that would boost weight loss too.
4. Say no to Cola and Diet Soda Absolutely: The artificial sweeteners in diet soda triggers the release of insulin even though there are not many calories that come along. This tricking of the brain by artificial sweeteners to release insulin results in metabolic disorders and weight gain and obesity is just one of the many consequences. Say no to cola and diet soda absolutely to lose belly fat.
5. HIIT Helps to Reduce Overall Body Fat: Include (high intensity interval training) exercises at least once or twice a week in your workout routine to burn fat through the day. Exercises such as jumping jacks, crunches, squats, push ups, and burpees are especially amazing at reducing overall body fat.
6. High-Fiber Diet: A high-fiber rich diet is great for digestion and weight loss. Fiber keeps you fuller for long hours, lowers cholesterol, and regulates blood sugar. Include these high-fiber items in your diet.
7. Get enough sleep: Get enough sleep during the night because spending too much time on the phone at night, Netflix binge, etc., can disturb your sleep pattern leading to slow metabolism, increase in hunger hormone (ghrelin), decrease in fullness hormone (leptin), increased cortisol level leading to fat storage and weight gain. Follow a strict sleep schedule, avoid using phone late into the night, and finish your last meal before 7 pm to get better sleep.
8. Don’t Eat After 7 pm: There are several reasons why you should not have any heavy meals after 7 PM and the foremost reason of them all is that it makes you put on weight. After 7 PM, metabolism dips down to its lowest, which means the calories supplied through a heavy dinner, late during the night, would most definitely get stored as fat.
9. Include one protein source (fish/chicken for non-vegetarians and beans/nuts/legumes/dal for vegetarians), one vegetable, one whole grain, and one fiber rich food during each meal: A portion of fruit is also recommended. If you are eating a plate, fill one quarter of your plate with a healthy protein source and one-quarter of your plate with whole grain (like quinoa, brown rice), and fill half of your plate with vegetable. And by the way, potatoes don’t count as a vegetable when you are on a diet, sweet potatoes are a good alternative. Eat at least one fruit each day.
10. Indulge in High-Protein Breakfast: Protein in the diet increases the levels of the satiety hormones in the body, also reduces appetite, thereby also reducing the hunger hormone. In order to lose weight fast, start your day with a high-protein breakfast and keep the carbs low. Here are 8 Best Sources of Plant Protein.
11. Say no to Sugar: Excess sugar triggers a lot of undesirable chemical effects which can cause headache, hormonal changes, insulin resistance, diabetes, and above all, fat storage and eventual weight gain. The biggest benefit of cutting down refined sugar is weight loss! If one consumes more sugar, the body will convert the glucose from sugar source to fat and store it for later use. By cutting down sugar, you will not be providing the body fuel for fat storage (glucose) and with strict exercise and diet routine, you would be able to shed weight really well and get your dream body and goal weight quickly
12. Cut down on Salt: Salt has quite a bad name in weight loss circles because high levels of sodium is often linked to high blood pressure, stroke, and heart disease, and increase in weight gain. However, more than white salt in home-cooked food, most people are unaware that they get high sodium intake in the form of processed and junk food. If you want to lose any weight at all, go low on salt and sodium levels from packaged food.
13. Eat Metabolism-Boosting Foods: In the end, what matters the most in weight loss, is a healthy metabolism. A high metabolism will help in quick burning of calories through the day. Almonds, green tea, green vegetables, whole grains are some examples of metabolism-boosting foods. Here are 25 Vegetarian Metabolism Boosting Foods that you can include in your diet.
14. Include millets of all varieties in your diet: Millets are super healthy for your body because not only do they have complex carbs and protein content, they help with weight loss, reduce your risk of colon cancer, supply antioxidants, and help regulate high blood pressure and diabetes. Some options are kodo, finger millet, ragi, sorghum, foxtail, banyard, little millet, and pearl millet.
15. Keep yourself hydrated: We cannot stress enough how essential water is to keep your whole system running smoothly and efficiently, and keep you healthy in the process. Eight glasses or more is often recommended. A tip from us – don’t gulp down water, sip slowly in a chewing motion. And sugary drinks and aerated beverages are not allowed.
16. Subscribe to Rati Beauty app: Your one-stop solution to lose weight in an extremely healthy way – all the diet programs in this app help you shed weight without compromising on your nutritional requirements. All details here.